Saturday 4 August 2012

FINDING MY WAY BACK




Have you ever let someone, something, some belief make you forget your passion?

I have, a couple of times.  

I started flamenco when I was 10 years old and did it for 8 years but I left because of  arrogance and divided loyalties with my dance teacher.  The break hurt and with my battered pride I went to a different flamenco studio. 

I enrolled in  Diana Reyes' Beginners 2 class thinking piece of cake.  I only ever managed about 3-4 classes before I gave up.  I thought its too difficult to manage with  uni/ boyfriend/ iceskating (yes in my glory days I was a synchronised figure skater but that a whole different Pandora's box best kept for a rainy day when I'm feeling more melancholic).  In retrospect it was a case of humble pie, I was scared because I wasn't as good as I thought was.  What I didnt realise then is that it was a completely different style of flamenco that I hadnt been exposed to plus lets not forget Diana is INTENSE. (She is the absolute best and is like a flamencopedia)

It wasn't until  that door closed and that I realised its importance.
My blood would heat everytime I heard a piece of gitano music and make me think of what could have been.  Fast forward 13 years and I saw a flyer for Diana's new beginners class.   Could it be in my realm of possibility?  To return to something I had once loved but discarded?

I was so nervous the first time stepping into that dance studio.  But 4 years into my flamenco comeback and I am thankful despite a few tears of frustration.
It has given me back a little piece of me that I thought was lost forever. 

Have you got something that nourishes your soul?  That is an indulgence of your heart? That sets your spirit free?

No comments:

Post a Comment